ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 20 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior Front End Engineer - Product (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Here at ResearchGate, we are looking for a front-end engineer to join our product team, which is building the features to connect scientists worldwide.
We’re a team of pragmatic optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on building great products that change the way scientists communicate for the better.
We love what we do. We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
We're looking for a front-end engineer with the skills and ability to turn great ideas into reality.
Make an impact At ResearchGate your input can help over 19 million scientists and researchers to solve global challenges. Whether studying the first moments of our universe or tracking global warming, our users are making a real difference.
Building at scale Scale at ResearchGate means that you can create features and user interfaces that are used by millions of researchers per week. This allows us to always identify and resolve scalability issues with the goal to continuously ship reliable features and great user experiences.
Innovation through iteration Agile methodologies are core to our success - this way of working allows you to build a feature, measure its success and learn how to improve it in short iterative cycles. We make sure to constantly improve our front-end infrastructure and design and implement efficient and reusable front-end systems that drive complex web applications.
Grow at work We put people first. You’ll join an environment where your personal development is our number one priority. In regular one on ones and quarterly feedback talks, you and your manager will identify possible paths for you to grow and the right amount of guidance needed to reach your goals.
Have ownership As a member of a product engineering team, you’re given the opportunity to own medium to long-term initiatives and potentially entire solutions. Your ability to ideate, estimate, plan, and execute will be key to the success of the team. You’ll collaborate with product managers, designers, and software engineers to deliver compelling user-facing products.
Your first year
In 3 months, you will be creating small to medium user-facing features together with your team’s front-end and backend engineers while continuing to gain insights into our ecosystem.
In 6 months, you will earn the responsibility to define and implement the features independently. At this point, you will know about the team’s dependencies and regularly coordinate with contributors and stakeholders. Your understanding of the ecosystem will have grown and you will be able to contribute to the definition of best practices.
In 12 months, you will excel at independently creating large user-centric features that display complex information. You will deeply understand the environment you are working on and will be looking out for opportunities to improve its design, architecture and processes around it.
- Proficient in writing meaningful tests with at least one front-end testing framework
- Excellent HTML/CSS knowledge, including concepts like responsive layouts, specificity, cross-browser compatibility, and accessibility
- Experience with browser APIs, optimization of front-end performance and familiarity with browser’s DevTools
- Having worked with modern front-end frameworks, including React/Redux
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior engineers
- Typescript, GraphQL and Jest experience is a plus
- You take responsibility for your own solutions and continuously improve on them
- You like to work in close collaboration within your team and supporting functions
- You excel at designing and creating coherent, user-centric interfaces that display complex information
- You understand our mission and want to help us achieve it
You'll be working in a start-up environment where code is written, tested and shipped continuously. Our engineering team is passionate about building maintainable, scalable web applications that are constantly optimized to meet the needs of our users - 19+ million researchers worldwide.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You will be interviewed by the people you will be working with, pair-program with us and quickly find the role that suits you best to start making an impact.
We’re located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome.
Other jobs at ResearchGate
- Engineering Manager - Publication Domain Team (Java & Big Data) (m/f/d)
- Salesforce Administrator (m/f/d)
- Senior Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)
- Senior DevOps Engineer (m/f/d)
- Senior Fullstack Engineer (PHP/React) for Product (m/f/d)
- Senior PHP Engineer - Developer Tooling & Web Platform Engineering (m/f/d)
- Senior Software Engineer, Java (m/f/d)
- Staff Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)