ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 20 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior DevOps Engineer (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
This is a full-time position. Our offices are based in Berlin, but the successful candidate can be located anywhere within Germany or the United Kingdom.
✔ Join a team of 6 DevOps engineers operating and improving a technical platform connecting 20+ million researchers around the world
✔ Evaluate, build and optimise technical solutions up to petabyte- scale
✔ Remote work possibilities, especially for candidates in Berlin / Germany /UK
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Join our team to take the web back to its roots and support 20 million+ ResearchGate members to achieve that mission.
We’re a passionate team of pragmatic optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on building great products that change the world of science for the better.
We love what we do. We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will be part of our platform infrastructure and site reliability team, ensuring that ResearchGate is available, reliable, and fast at all times for researchers and scientists around the world. At its core, this team works to enable ResearchGate’s teams to innovate and build features that improve the lives of scientists.
As part of a team of 6+ DevOps engineers supporting the core technical platform, this role provides ample opportunities to get involved in building and operating petabyte-scale data solutions and platform infrastructure - contributing to DevOps, developer enablement and SRE topics, automating at scale, solving new and interesting problems and architecting and developing backend services and solutions to improve ResearchGate’s technical platform.
The ideal candidate will combine a curiosity for learning and growing, a passion for software engineering and the ability and desire to improve the flexibility, scalability and operation of platform infrastructure.
- Build and operate scalable infrastructure components
- Apply software engineering solutions to solve challenging, often novel, requirements
- Investigate problems detected by our systems and work quickly to understand and resolve them
- Extend developer tooling, shared libraries, CI/CD, instrumentation and other developer-centric capabilities
- Design efficient relational and noSQL (MongoDB) database schemas
- Contribute to cross-team initiatives such as architecture, best practices & standards, mentoring and knowledge sharing.
- Extensive software development experience and skills, including with Java related technologies
- In-depth understanding of technologies used in large-scale web deployments (TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP, load balancers, web servers including Nginx, Lua, caching, databases, CDN, high-availability setups)
- Capability of technical deep-dives into code, networking, systems, and storage with other specialist engineers
- Strong understanding of Linux operating system concepts
- A mindset to “automate the pain away”, along with knowledge of Python, Golang and/or Shell
- Experience with the following are a plus: configuration management tools, distributed storage solutions (Hadoop, Ceph, S3), Kubernetes ecosystem, PHP, infrastructure as code solutions
You'll be working in a fast-paced environment where code is written, tested and shipped continuously. Our engineering team is passionate about building maintainable, scalable web applications that are constantly optimized to meet the needs of our users – 20+ million researchers worldwide.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated. You'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with, so you can quickly find out if the role suits you best and start making an impact.
We’re changing science and catalyzing discovery, every day. Get to know more about our mission and what ResearchGate members are achieving by checking out our blog at https://www.researchgate.net/blog.
Other jobs at ResearchGate
- Engineering Manager - Publication Domain Team (Java & Big Data) (m/f/d)
- Salesforce Administrator (m/f/d)
- Senior Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)
- Senior Front End Engineer - Product (m/f/d)
- Senior Fullstack Engineer (PHP/React) for Product (m/f/d)
- Senior PHP Engineer - Developer Tooling & Web Platform Engineering (m/f/d)
- Senior Software Engineer, Java (m/f/d)
- Staff Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)