ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 20 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Senior Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Join our team to take the web back to its roots and achieve that original mission.
We’re a team of passionate optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Objective of the Role
Data is at the core of everything we do to make scientists more productive. With our research graph encompassing 20mn researchers, 145mn publications and 1.7bn citations, we manage a unique and highly impactful data asset that directly delivers value to scientists.
Our Data Engineering team is crucial to our success in working with data. You will be working at the core of our data platform to empower product teams to build features based on ML models and data. By keeping data flowing through our pipelines, you ensure we can make data-informed decisions. You help us maintain, shape and enhance our data infrastructure to enable innovation across all data functions.
Most importantly, you will make an impact for 20+ million scientists around the world, who themselves have an impact on 8 billion peoples’ lives via their research.
- Work with key big data technologies including Hadoop, Hive, Tez, Flink, HBase, and Kafka
- Ensure that our data pipelines (petabyte range) utilized by our data and engineering teams are ready for future challenges
- Take ownership for continuous maintenance and improvement of components of our data platform
- Engineer efficient, adaptable and scalable data architectures to make building and maintaining big data applications easy and enjoyable for others
- Act as a technical leader to drive the evolution of our data platform in collaboration with backend engineering, data science and analytics teams
- Build workflows involving large datasets and/or machine learning models in production using distributed computing and big data processing concepts and technologies
- Expert knowledge in Java and/or Python (5+ years of experience)
- Understanding of Hadoop core concepts and its ecosystem
- Experience with big data technologies (MapReduce, Flink, Hive) operating at petabyte scale
- Experience in designing and implementing data pipelines
- Experience in developing and maintaining large-scale REST based services
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL)
- Hands-on experience with Bash and Git
- A plus: experience with Kubernetes
- A big plus: experience with modern ML tools and frameworks like MLflow to empower Data Scientists to work effectively
- Very good command of English and strong communication skills
- You have a strong desire to quickly learn new technologies and adopt tools that fit a problem best
- You enjoy taking on the longer-term perspective are excited about building and preserving a solid engineering foundation in a dynamic environment
- You have a strong desire to optimize inefficient processes
- You enjoy working with great people in a fast-paced environment
- You understand our mission and want to help us achieve it
You'll be working in a dynamic company culture with the chance to individually shape your professional development and growth. Enjoy an energetic and international team who are passionate about changing science for the better.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated: you'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with.
We’re located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome.
We continue to closely monitor the evolving situation with Covid-19, with the protection of the health and safety of our people being our highest priority. All interviews will be conducted virtually (via phone or video).
Other jobs at ResearchGate
- Engineering Manager - Publication Domain Team (Java & Big Data) (m/f/d)
- Salesforce Administrator (m/f/d)
- Senior DevOps Engineer (m/f/d)
- Senior Front End Engineer - Product (m/f/d)
- Senior Fullstack Engineer (PHP/React) for Product (m/f/d)
- Senior PHP Engineer - Developer Tooling & Web Platform Engineering (m/f/d)
- Senior Software Engineer, Java (m/f/d)
- Staff Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)