ResearchGate is the professional network for scientists and researchers. Over 20 million members from all over the world use it to share, discover, and discuss research. We're guided by our mission to connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Engineering Manager - Publication Domain Team (Java & Big Data) (m/f/d)
This is a full-time position based in Berlin or Remote DE or Remote UK
The web was created by scientists and for scientists, to foster scientific collaboration and drive progress for a better world. Join our team to take the web back to its roots and achieve that original mission.
We’re a team of passionate optimists from around the world and from many different backgrounds. Together, we focus on changing the way scientists communicate for the better.
We connect the world of science and make research open to all.
Objective of the Role
Enable your team to own, drive, and innovate on the core technologies that power ResearchGate. These core technologies allow us to create, structure and leverage a research graph of over 19mn+ users, 130+ million publications, 1.5+ billion citations, millions of authors, countless institutions and more.
As the Engineering Manager of the Publication Domain (Java & Big Data) you will enable your team of 4-6 Engineers to effectively work within three areas:
- Processing, extracting and organizing data and related metadata of 130+M Publications
- The passive and active discoverability (Search & Recommendations) of Publications and related entities
- The tracking of activities associated with Publications and related entities (Stats)
Your team will be essential to the success of other product engineering teams who will leverage these services to build new and unique user facing value. Consequently, you will motivate and enable your team to tackle difficult engineering challenges around scale, availability, quality and consumability (internal apis). You will shape the vision of the team and technical products collaboratively with senior engineers, technical product managers and other engineering leaders.
Most importantly, you and the team will make an impact for 19+ million scientists around the world, who themselves have an impact on 8 billion peoples’ lives via their research.
- Lead a team of 4-6 Java & data engineers
- Guide your direct reports’ functional development by creating development opportunities, mentoring plans and by providing timely and actionable feedback
- Take ownership for your team’s satisfaction, motivation, and retention
- Collaboratively define, communicate and execute a technical strategy that focuses your team efforts on the most impactful work which is in harmony with broader company goals
- Closely coordinate with external stakeholders to gather requirements and to foresee future needs regarding the performance and capabilities of your team’s technical products
- Define, track and analyze KPIs that inform the success of your actions
- Constantly refine and improve your team's internal and collaborative processes to ensure the most efficient delivery of high value work
- Take responsibility for hiring and onboarding new colleagues
- Create a high performance and positive work environment based on transparency, accountability, and trust
- At least 3 years of relevant experience as a Java backend engineer
- At least 2 years experience as a people manager, leading agile development teams
- Experience working with big data processing systems like like Hive, Flink, HDFS, and MapReduce
- Experience developing REST services (Dropwizard, Kubernetes)
- Proficient in SQL (Hive)
- Familiarity with building and maintaining systems that enable teams to run machine learning models on scale is a plus
- Familiarity with Kafka and Solr is a plus
- Good understanding of software architecture patterns
- Experience in building, measuring and optimizing processes and organizational structures to support highly effective teams
- Very strong English communication skills
- You consider yourself the “coach” of your team and enjoy to empower and train others and see them grow
- You are passionate about technology and employing it in ways that serve the product and business
- You have no qualms about getting hands-on when necessary
- You are an optimist and inspire others by taking on thought leadership in your area of passion
- You understand our mission and want to help us achieve it
You'll be working in a dynamic company culture with the chance to individually shape your professional development and growth. Enjoy an energetic and international team who are passionate about changing science for the better.
Our hiring process is uncomplicated: you'll be interviewed by the people you'll be working with.
We’re located at the heart of Berlin, one of the most exciting cities in the world and a place where people from all walks of life feel welcome.
Other jobs at ResearchGate
- Salesforce Administrator (m/f/d)
- Senior Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)
- Senior DevOps Engineer (m/f/d)
- Senior Front End Engineer - Product (m/f/d)
- Senior Fullstack Engineer (PHP/React) for Product (m/f/d)
- Senior PHP Engineer - Developer Tooling & Web Platform Engineering (m/f/d)
- Senior Software Engineer, Java (m/f/d)
- Staff Data Platform Engineer (m/f/d)